UHP is the oldest and largest honors program at UNC Charlotte. Here is a brief bit of our history:

  • 1946: The Charlotte Center was founded and offered evening classes to students at a local high school.
  • 1949:The Charlotte Center renamed Charlotte College and offered the first two years of college courses.
  • 1965: The University of North Carolina at Charlotte was created as the fourth campus of the statewide university system.
  • 1980: Dr. Daniel Jones (Chemistry) and Dr. David Amante (English) suggested the establishment of a university-wide honors program to Chancellor Fretwell.
  • 1983: The UNC Charlotte Faculty Council unanimously approved the Interdisciplinary Honors Program as a university-wide program.
  • 1983: Dr. Denise Park (Psychology) appointed as the first coordinator of the Interdisciplinary Honors Program, a unit within the Division of Academic Affairs. The program enrolled 31 students.
  • 1987: Dr. Fowler Bush (Chemistry) was appointed as Director of the Interdisciplinary Honors Program.
  • 1991: The Interdisciplinary Honors Program was renamed the University Honors Program. The University Honors Program was moved from the Division of Academic Affairs to the College of Arts and Sciences. The program was housed in the basement of Maple Hall. Honors housing was established in Witherspoon Hall. The program enrolled 150 students.
  • 1992: Dr. Al Maisto (Psychology) appointed as Director of the University Honors Program.
  • 1993: The University Honors Program relocated to Macy Hall.
  • 2003: The Honors College was established within the College of Arts and Sciences.  Dr. Maisto was appointed as Associate Dean for the Honors College and Ms. Connie Rothwell was appointed as Director of the University Honors Program.
  • 2003: The Honors College took administrative oversight of the University Honors Program. The program enrolled 201 students.
  • 2004: The Honors College and UHP relocated to Cato Hall.
  • 2005: The Honors College was administratively moved from the College of Arts and Sciences to the Office of the Provost within Academic Services.
  • 2010: The Honors College and UHP relocated to the Bonnie E. Cone University Center.
  • 2012: Dr. Malin Pereira (English) appointed Executive Director of the Honors College. Redesign of honors education begins.
  • 2014: Dr. Jennifer Warner (Biological Sciences) was appointed as Director of the University Honors Program. Planning of Levine Hall begins.
  • 2015: Crown Scholars Program launched as a merit scholars program within the University Honors Program.
  • 2016: The Honors College and UHP relocated to Levine Hall. The program currently has 207 members.
  •