How to Apply
Application to the University Honors Program is made through the Niner Scholars portal. Apply to the "Honors College Application." We recommend that you apply as early as possible in the application cycle so that your application will be complete prior to our deadline. November 1 is the priority deadline for applying to UNC Charlotte. You must meet that deadline in order to apply for the December 1 early action deadline for the "Honors College Application." Continuing UNC Charlotte students who are applying for Spring entry need to apply by this date as well. You may also apply in the spring: February 1 is the regular decision deadline for applying to UNC Charlotte; March 1 is the regular decision deadline for the "Honors College Application." Applicants will also be considered for the Arts + Architecture Honors Program (AAHP), open to any students with a major in the College of Arts + Architecture, or the Business Honors Program (BHP), open to any students with a major in the College of Business. Anyone completing an application for the Albert Engineering Leadership Scholarship or the Martin Scholarship will automatically be considered for UHP.
You will need to have the following materials prepared in order to apply:
1. An updated resume. Be sure that your resume:
- Provides adequate detail to describe your accomplishments.
- Is your own work.
- Delineates an honest and specific record of your achievements. Do not include information you cannot document with facts or actions.
- Lists your achievements in reverse chronological order, meaning your most recent first and earlier ones following.
- Is carefully proofread. After drafting your resume, you may ask others to review it and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Is no longer than two pages.
- Is saved as a PDF document.
2. An original essay: You will find the essay guidelines and prompt here.
- Please make sure to specifically address the prompt provided. Essays that do not address the prompt will not be considered.
- Your essay should be between 500 – 750 words and should be saved in PDF format.
3. Contact information for your recommenders: The Honors College application requires two academic letters of recommendation. You will enter the names and contact information for your recommenders when you apply. Your recommenders will be provided with detailed instructions for how to submit their letter. An academic reference is defined as a current or former teacher, or professor, who was your instructor for at least one academic course. Do not choose a teacher/professor simply because you did well in their class. Choose an instructor who can speak about your academic achievements, your level of motivation and work ethic in their class, and your potential for continued success in higher education. Family members, friends, current/former employers or co-workers, and leaders of a faith-based or community organization should not be used as Academic References.
- The best letters come from academic teachers who know you well enough to address how you handle new concepts, think, and problem solve. A teacher who can address your recent performance is necessary, and it is helpful to choose a teacher who could also provide information about your character, personality, and/or leadership skills. A teacher you have taken classes with over several years can provide valuable information about your growth over time and your ability to contribute to the UHP community.
- Give your recommenders plenty of lead time. Teachers have busy schedules and writing detailed letters of recommendation is a time-consuming process. Asking at the last minute is never a good strategy. Plan ahead and make sure to ask your teachers to write letters well in advance of the deadline. Provide them with your personal statements, essays, and resume so that they have plenty of material to reference as they write their letter.
- Your letters of recommendation must be received by the application deadline of December 1 (early deadline) or March 1.
- If you would like to read more about getting a great letter of recommendation, the College Board addresses the topic here.
What happens after you submit your online application?
- Your recommenders will receive an email that includes instructions for how to submit their recommendation letters.
- You should follow up with your recommenders to remind them to submit letters prior to the application deadline.
- Notifications for the early decision deadline will be in February; notifications for the regular decision deadline will be April.